Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Sweet Evil

Title:  Sweet Evil
Series:  Sweet Evil #1
Author:  Wendy Higgins
Publisher:  HarperTeen
Pages:  453
Format:  Paperback
Source:  Bought


Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns? 

My Review:  This novel, Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins, has been on my mind for months.  I first found it while browsing the upcoming books on goodreads.  What first caught my attention was, of course, the cover.  How could it not?  There was a hot guy on it.  But besides that, the title and blurb of this story had me completely enthralled.  
 
I loved many things about this story.  The plot, the creatures, the people (ahem, Kaidan . . .).  I also really enjoyed the writing style.  Wendy Higgins is a new and refreshing member of the YA genre and I have completely fallen in love with the way she writes.  It's the sort of style I can just sit back and enjoy.  The way she makes the reader feel is also pretty amazing.  My heart was pounding and my hands were shaking right along with Anna throughout her story.  

The characters were all well detailed and believable.  Even the minor characters made a big impact on the story.  It was nice not mixing everyone up, which happens to me often in the YA genre when too many flat characters are introduced at once.  

Though I knew a lot about this book when I began it, I was still surprised by how many twists and turns in took me through.  I was shocked at how well Wendy stuck little hints into the story without giving anything away until she wanted the secret to come out.  

My personal favorite part of this story was Kaidan and no, not just because he was incredibly sexy.  He was a mystery and a charming one at that.  I enjoyed learning more about him as the story progressed and seeing the way he reacted to Anna and the obstacles they were put through. 
The ending was a bit frustrating, for reasons only those who have read it will understand.  But it definitely leaves me with an ache that only the sequel will cure.  I cannot wait to get my hands on the second book. 


Five Cards


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns