Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: Destined


Title:  Destined
Series:  Wings #4
Author:  Aprilynne Pike
Publisher:  HarperCollins
Pages:  320
Format:  Hardcover


Summary:  Tamani looked at her gravely, and reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear.
He hesitated for an instant, then his hands found the sides of her face, pulling her to him. He didn't kiss her, just held her face close to his, their foreheads resting together, their noses almost touching.
She hated how much it felt like good-bye.
Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful—and deadly—of all, and Klea plans to use her to help conquer and destroy Avalon. But Klea's reach extends far beyond one wild Winter faerie. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares to face what may be Avalon's final days, in the stunning conclusion to the Wings series.


My Review:  I have the hardest time finishing a series, especially one that I love so much.  

I've been with Laurel since the very beginning, when the first book, WINGS, was just published.  I love everything about it, the writing style, the characters, the dialogue, and the plot.  The last installment of this series did not disappoint. 

DESTINED was just as amazing as the first three books in the series, if not better.  It has definitely become my favorite between the four of them.  

We start off right where the last book left off.  I felt like this was very nice as I was quickly thrust right back into the action.  In fact, this was the most action packed book in the series and I was quite pleased with how well Aprilynne Pike described the fight scenes.  They didn't seem forced and they had just the right amount of imagery to not be overwhelming.   

The writing was, as usual, amazing.  She has a fairly simplistic yet lyrical style of writing that I find very engaging.  I don't feel as though I'm reading, instead I feel like I'm right there with all the characters in the books, fighting next to them and discovering secrets along the way.  

The characters were all very nice in this book as well.  I loved comparing Laurel in this book to her character in the first book.  She's grown so much and matured as a character.  I feel as though I've watched someone I know grow up.  I love the natural progression of her and Tamani's relationship and her and David's relationship throughout the entire series.  And, to say I was pleased with who she ended up with would be an understatement.  I've love her and him since the beginning.  

I'm not ashamed to admit that when I read the last page of this book, I was sobbing.  I really didn't want it to end.  I've been with this series so long, waited for each one of those books, and gone through the emotional turmoil with all the characters that it seems very surreal that it's all over.   

Five Feathers





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs
Images from StarCityDesigns